Sunday, April 29, 2012

Manly Monday



                     (click on #'s 24, 25 or 26 on my music list to hear Tony Bennett sing)

Tony Bennett is a legend in the music industry.  He has loved singing since he was a child and gave his first performance at age 10.  In high school he took part time jobs as a singing waiter and when he joined the army during WWII he sang with the Army Band.  In 1949 (I was 8years old) he went to work with Bob Hope and soon after signed a contract with Columbia Records.  His music was a hit and remains popular, at least with the older folks, until this day.  He is 84 and still performing.  During the Rock and Roll Era, he was involved with a  drug dependency that interfered with his performing.  His son, Danny, by now an adult, helped him get through the dependency and, as his Dad's manager, Tony made a comeback.  They started developing a following with the younger people and has maintained his popularity to this day.   He has received 12 Grammy Awards including Grammy's Lifetime Achievement Award. 

On a more personal note, I have memories of my father teaching me ballroom dancing to his music.  So I don't just admire him as performer, I have endearing memories that he is a part of.  He is a talented singer but also a painter and a humanitarian and has enriched the lives of all of his adoring followers.  I am proud to be able to name him as my Manly Man.









Track List

01 Because Of You
02 Stranger In Paradise
03 Rags To Riches
04 Boulevard Of Broken Dreams
05 Cold, Cold Heart
06 Just In Time
07 I Left My Heart In San Francisco
08 I Wanna Be Around
09 Who Can I Turn To (When Nobody Needs Me)
10 For Once In My Life
11 This Is All I Ask
12 Smile
13 Tender Is The Night
14 The Shadow Of Your Smile
15 Love Story
16 The Good Life

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is a great meme in exploring what masculinity is and how people perceive it, as well as those that embody it.
I hope others will join in. I am curious as to their ideas and examples, and reasons.
McGuffy's Reader
http://mcguffysreader.blogspot.com

Rain Frances Creations ... Appliances

  Appliances One has to stretch the imagination to come up with appliance art.  Sorry, no photos to share this week.  I am not in the habit ...